The Civic Engagement Manager position is a full-time, salaried position with benefits, responsible for collaborating with internal staff and a wide range of external partners and consultants to engage the community with the organization’s mission, vision and projects. Projects range from long-term strategy and planning to execute engagements throughout the lifecycle of a project to day-to-day customer service. This position demands an experienced professional with both strategic thinking and high attention to detail, impeccable communication
skills, excellent ability to multi-task, and dedication to the team.
This position interacts with people from all backgrounds, throughout the St. Louis region. Stakeholders can range from technical advisors, consultants and elected officials to community leaders, residents and greenway users. This position requires being skilled at engaging at all levels. We have an overall engagement strategy and framework that has been developed in collaboration with staff, board and partners to guide these efforts. This position will also support all departments with any engagement needs, above and beyond typical greenway building projects.
We are committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the organization and are valued for their skills, experience and unique perspectives. As an organization, we expect all employees to support this dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion in our workplace.
Salary Range: $57,500 – 80,500, commensurate with experience
Reports to: Chief, Planning and Projects
Collaborates with: Project Managers, Consultants, Partners, all staff and board members
The following are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or allinclusive. Other duties are required and will be assigned as needed.
● Manage strategy and planning for all community engagement efforts.
o Follow organizational standards for community engagement, while updating with research and best practices from the industry.
o Procure, onboard and manage consultants to support engagement efforts as necessary.
o Coordinate with staff and partners to plan, execute and manage engagement process and outcomes.
o Maintain and update engagement tasks within project management software.
o Coordinate region-wide engagement activities such as advisors, champions, or
● Plan and execute engagement activities for each project collaboratively with staff, partners and consultants to ensure community buy-in and awareness and to ensure community input in key decisions.
o Research each community and engage key stakeholders to tailor engagement strategy to any given project.
o Engage the community throughout the lifecycle of all greenway projects, from planning to design to construction to sustainability
o Implement a variety of engagement activities ranging from community and stakeholder meetings, events, programs, surveys, online and offline engagement.
o Recruit, train and maintain relationships with Champions for each project to support communications efforts on an ongoing basis.
● Support all departments as needed
o Provide expertise to guide efforts such as a focus group for communications planning, a workshop with volunteers, or a survey to all donors.
o Connect other departments to partners, vendors and resources to complete their projects in an efficient manner.
Bachelor’s degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position.
● Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience related to the duties of this position
● Municipal, government or nonprofit experience preferred, whether that is through direct service or client work
● Experience with planning, community development, trail and park-related projects preferred
● Knowledge of the St. Louis metropolitan region preferred.
Skills and Abilities
●Be self-directed,possess sound judgment and thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
● Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity and inclusionary practices, engagement best practices and cultural competence
● Firm grasp on championing project goals, managing budgets, timelines and deliverables with internal staff and external partners, vendors and stakeholders.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain solid relationships with a diverse internal and external team.
● Ability to represent and reflect organizational values.
● Ability to think and act strategically for successful community engagement.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Team-oriented with a commitment to sustaining strong, productive working partnerships with all staff, board members, consultants, volunteers and the overall community.
● Ability to handle difficult communication through a variety of channels, performs well under pressure.
● Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity and inclusionary practices, engagement best practices and cultural competence.
●Demonstrated success in community engagement and/or organizing, outreach methods, active listening, conflict resolution and compromise.
● Ability to synthesize and present technical information to a variety of audiences.
● PC operation and ability to learn new software at a skilled level
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
● Experience with public engagement and public speaking
● Skilled in writing, listening and speaking in English
● Second language competency encouraged
● Training or familiarity with GIS software encouraged